Chicago Bears

Why the Chicago Bears won’t make the playoffs in 2015

The Chicago Bears hired head coach John Fox for a number of reasons. He is a proven winner, knows how to manage his players and coaching staff and has an uncanny ability to turn around bad football teams at a rapid rate. Bears fans, and players alike, are hoping that last sentiment rings true once more and the Bears can get back to being one of the premier franchises (performance wise) in the NFL. That will be no easy task, however, as the Bears were a team that finished last season physically and mentally shattered.
When a team has high expectations entering the season and then turmoil ensues, it is not easy to handle. That is precisely what happened to the Bears as they saw their “rebuilt” defense crumble,  their supposably electric offense collapse under the poor play of quarterback Jay Cutler (and even poorer play calling of ex-head coach Marc Trestman) and the team lose all their confidence.
Needless to say, John Fox will have quite the task at hand for the Bears to be still playing come January.

CB Kyle Fuller expected to excel in new Bears defense in 2015

According to Chicago Bears safety and Bleacher Report writer Matt Bowen, Chicago Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller is one of five players in the league who should excel by playing in a new system.

Fuller, the 14th pick in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, led the defense with nine pass breakups and three forced fumbles while being tied for the team lead with four interceptions.

Bowens writes:

‘With Vic Fangio now running the defense in Chicago, we should see the Bears utilize Kyle Fuller’s versatility more in the secondary. Fuller has the skill set to line up outside the numbers, play over the slot or even match up to a tight end based on the game plan. The idea here is to put him in a position to challenge receivers, make plays on the ball and show up in the blitz front, rushing off the edge.’

 

Martellus Bennett Missing from Bears OTA’s

Wednesday marked the Chicago Bears first organized team activities under new head coach John Fox. A lot of familiar faces have attended, but one that has not is tight end Martellus Bennett. It does not come as a surprise considering Bennett is looking for a new deal.Bennett is halfway through his four-year contract that he signed back in 2013. The reason he is looking for a new deal is because he is coming off the best season of his NFL career. Bennett finished last year with 90 receptions for 916 yards and six touchdowns. With the Bears learning a new offense under offensive coordinator Adam Gase, it is important for all players to be present even at these volunteer workouts. The Bears front office and coaches have all said that they expect Bennett to be with them when the season begins. But ex-teammate Brandon Marshall suggested the Bennett might end up being traded just like he was earlier in the offseason. Bennett and Marshall share the same agent and Bennett has been working out at Marshall’s FitSpeed

Ray McDonald Saga has no Positive end in Sight for Chicago Bears

Ed Szczepanski/USA TODAY Sports
Sure, the Chicago Bears hired a new head coach, new general manager and placed a figurehead in charge of football operations.
But the latest out of Halas Hall suggests that the same old losing culture remains firmly in place.
He was arrested Monday and charged with misdemeanor counts of domestic violence and child endangerment in Santa Clara, Calif. and was subsequently dismissed from the team, according to the Chicago Tribune and multiple reports.
Domestic violence is a vexing social problem,” Bears chairman George McCaskey, a member of the NFL’s recently-created Conduct Committee told the Chicago Tribune. “The NFL has had some high-profile cases, including this one. And the NFL, because it’s a leader in society, is called upon to take action, which we are doing. We’re not going to do it by ourselves, but I think we have an opportunity to make an impact.”
With Adrian Petersen and Ray Rice already bringing light to an issue that Commissioner Roger Go…

Ray McDonald’s Mom Claims There is a Witness to Prove His Innocence

Former Chicago Bears defensive lineman Ray McDonald was released by the team following an arrest for an alleged domestic violence episode that occurred Monday. Since then, McDonald was arrested again for violating a restraining order by going to his old residence.
McDonald’s mom and dad stand firm that their son did not attack the mother of his child and that their son’s career has now been destroyed by his ex’s lies.
Ray’s mother, Labrina McDonald, claimed there is a witness who can prove that her son did not get violent with the alleged accuser (via TMZ Sports).
“[Ray’s] personal driver witnessed everything that happened. He never touched her.”
Labrina further supported her son:
“Ray is never going to hit a woman. He may say some stuff to piss them off, he may kick them out of his house. But he’d never lay his hands on them. We didn’t raise him that way.”
McDonald’s father weighed in regarding the second arrest for violating the restraining order, stating the obvious:
“He shoul

Chicago Bears’ George McCaskey Pensive After McDonald Release

Chicago Bears Chairman of the Board George H. McCaskey speaks with the media regarding the release of defensive end Ray McDonald after an organized team activity at Halas Hall on Wednesday May 27, 2015, in Lake Forest, Ill. (AP Photo/Matt Marton)
Professional sports organizations take hundreds of gambles throughout the season. Whether it be the drafting of a little-known prospect or the signing of a player to a large contract, the leaders in organizations have to decide what will be the best possible decisions that will help their team win a championship.
Sometimes those decisions are scrutinized when they involve certain types of players. Despite all the research that was done and promises made, there are players that prove that management made the wrong decision.
This was the case for Chicago Bears chairman George McCaskey when he spoke with the media Wednesday about the team’s release of Ray McDonald on Monday. The organization has taken heat for the signing of the players accus…

Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte not planning a holdout

Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte answered in the affirmative when asked whether he’ll report on time to training camp despite contract issues, according to ESPN’s Jeff Dickerson. Forte is feeling the pressure of a contract year bearing down on him, and the Bears have been reluctant to offer their 29-year-old ball-carrier a new deal.
“Nobody wants to play on a one-year deal, especially the uncertainty of how football is with how it goes,” Forte told ESPN. “You just figure like a guy who’s been there since day one, continues to put in hard work and has produced, you figure that that guy should be rewarded. But in this business that doesn’t always happen.”
If his past production is any indication of what’s to come, Forte is certainly worthy of a contract extension. He was the team’s leading rusher last year (1,038 yards) and set the NFL record for receptions by a running back in a single season (102). Dickerson points out that no player has accumulated more yards from scrimmage si…

TE Martellus Bennett skips out on Chicago Bears OTAs

The Chicago Bears held their first organized team activities on Wednesday, and a major target in the passing game was nowhere to be found. Tight end Martellus Bennett hasn’t attended any workouts this offseason, Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times reports, and the Bears are not thrilled with his absence.
“I prefer guys be here, but if they’re not, they’re not,” Bears head coach John Fox said earlier this month, according to the Sun-Times.
Bennett still has two years left on his current deal, but he far exceeded its terms with his production last season. The skilled pass-catcher reeled in 90 balls for 916 yards and six touchdowns on his way to a 2014 Pro Bowl bid.
Offensive coordinator Adam Gase is trying to install a new offense, which is difficult to do without a starting tight end in the fold. A coaching staff and front office with no ties to Bennett are now in charge, so the Bears may not be interested in playing his game.
No report has confirmed or denied the possibility of a tr…

Ray McDonald arrested at Togo’s for violating restraining order

Ray McDonald just cannot stay out of trouble. The ex-Chicago Bears defensive lineman was arrested on Wednesday at a Togo’s sandwich shop for allegedly violating his restraining order. He was given a restraining order after being arrested early Monday morning for getting into a fight with his ex-fiancee (here are the details from that incident)….Read More

Report: Ray McDonald arrested for violating restraining order

Former San Francisco 49ers and Chicago Bears defensive tackle Ray McDonald was arrested for the second time in two days on Wednesday.
Two days after McDonald was arrested on domestic violence and child endangerment charges in San Jose, he was once again detained by police. Wednesday’s arrest stems from McDonald violating a court-ordered restraining order to stay away from his residence.

BREAKING: Ray McDonald arrested at 3:35 p.m. for violating restraining order, per @SantaClaraPD @mercnews
— Katie Nelson (@katienelson210) May 28, 2015

 

UPDATE: Ray McDonald was at #SantaClara residence despite being told NOT to go there. Found at nearby @TogosSandwiches @mercnews
— Katie Nelson (@katienelson210) May 28, 2015

 
McDonald, who was released by the Bears after his arrest on Monday, simple doesn’t get it.
Last year saw McDonald arrested on domestic violence charges. And after it was reported he was being investigated for sexual assault in December, he was promptly released by the 49ers

Matt Forte Sounds Jaded Regarding Bears and Contract Situation

Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte has been among the most consistently good players in the NFL over the past several seasons. The 29-year-old veteran is also coming off a 2014 campaign that saw him post 1,846 total yards and 10 scores.
Despite this previous success, Forte enters the 2015 season in a contract year. There doesn’t seem to be much happening on the contract extension front, which is an indication that Chicago may very well be willing to play out the year and assess the situation. While Forte did report to OTAs this week and isn’t planning a holdout, he doesn’t seem to be too happy about how he’s being treated by the organization:
“Nobody wants to play on a one-year deal, especially with the uncertainty of how football is,” Forte said, via CBS Chicago. “You just figure, a guy who’s been there since day one, has put in hard work and continues to produce, that guy should be rewarded. But it’s a business, and that doesn’t always happen.”
Forte isn’t necessarily wrong here.

Details emerge from McDonald’s domestic violence arrest

Details have started to emerge from the latest domestic violence arrest for NFL defensive end Ray McDonald, and they paint a disturbing picture of what happened before the 30-year-old was taken into custody early Monday morning. In a phone call to 911, the mother of McDonald’s ex-fiancee told emergency dispatchers that her daughter had barricaded…Read More

Chicago Bears OL Kyle Long is a man of the people, says what we’re all thinking

The Chicago Bears did the right thing and released Ray McDonald after another domestic violence incident Monday.
Bears offensive lineman Kyle Long sufficiently summed up everyone’s thoughts.

Good riddance
— KL (@Ky1eLong) May 25, 2015

Bravo.
AROUND COVER32
Five Things: Big NFL stories fans might have missed this weekend
Power Rankings: The league’s defenses sorted from 1-32
Go away, Ray.
You may also be interested in:
Twitter fan says he’d bet life savings 49ers don’t win nine games this year
Breaking: Tennessee Titans have big concerns as DGB goes down
Chicago Bears OL Kyle Long is a man of the people, says what we’re all thinking

Bears lineman tweets “good riddance” to Ray McDonald

The Chicago Bears’ recent signing of embattled lineman Ray McDonald was heavily questioned, given his checkered past with domestic violence and assault cases.  McDonald justified the faith the Bears placed in him by getting arrested again over Memorial Day weekend, this time on suspicion of domestic violence and child endangerment.
The Bears promptly released McDonald and at least one Bears player was not sorry to see him go.  Offensive lineman Kyle Long simply tweeted “good riddance.”

Good riddance
— KL (@Ky1eLong) May 25, 2015

While the Bears quickly cut ties with McDonald without penalty, should it be that way, or should teams also be held accountable for enabling repeat offenders like him?  It’s an embarrassment for the league and for the franchise that McDonald was on an NFL roster when this latest incident occurred.  And if Long is willing to speak out publicly about it, one wonders what Bears players are saying behind the scenes with regards to McDonald’s brief tenure in Chicago.
The

Kyle Long has great reaction to Bears releasing Ray McDonald

Chicago Bears offensive lineman Kyle Long didn’t hide his feelings when his employer fired a man Monday.
Of course, this situation was a little different than a run-of-the-mill termination. The Bears announced Monday afternoon they were releasing defensive end Ray McDonald, just two months after signing the former San Francisco 49er. McDonald was cut loose after he was arrested early Monday morning on suspicion of domestic violence and child endangerment.
The Bears came under scrutiny upon signing McDonald, as this arrest wasn’t his first. The organization believed McDonald had turned himself around but acted quickly after the news broke.
“We believe in second chances, but when we signed Ray we were very clear what our expectations were if he was to remain a Bear,” general manager Ryan Pace said in a statement. “He was not able to meet the standard and the decision was made to release him.”
The news was welcomed by Long, who wasted no time weighing in on the subject. Just moments after the B